School Outreach FAQ
Please note: The programs are designed for the entire family; children must attend with adults.
How is the evening structured?
Museum staff will arrive by 4:30 p.m. to begin setting up. Please have the tables and space prepared according to the specified layout. At 5:20 school volunteers will arrive for a training and overview of the evening and the activity stations. Families may arrive at school any time between 6–8 p.m. to experience the interactive learning stations. All activities will end at 8 p.m.
What will The Children's Museum will provide?
- Museum educators to train volunteers, facilitate presentations and set up all activities.
- All activity supplies, according to the capacity for which you register.
- Museum-quality signs and graphics for each activity.
- Family learning handouts and museum visit coupons
What does the hosting organization provide?
- A large gymnasium or similar open space
- An extra room located close to the gymnasium for museum-facilitated presentations
- 16 8-foot tables and four to six trash cans
- 10 to 15 volunteers. If the organization is unable to provide the required amount of volunteers then the program content may have to be augmented/reduced in order to provide quality facilitation.
- DVD players and TV (for Studio of Colors outreach only)
Who can volunteer at these programs and what will be the expectation of their participation?
We request that all volunteers be adult volunteers and that we have a minimum of one volunteer per station. Volunteers will receive an overview of the evening and each activity. Their main responsibility will be to help facilitate the activities, restock supplies, and encourage families in their family learning adventure. Any youth volunteers are required to have at least one adult volunteer with them at all times.
What is the Cost for hosting this event?
Up to 250 people: $500
Up to 400 people: $650
Outreaches are limited to a 60 mile radius away from the museum. (A mileage fee for 60 cents per mile is assessed each way for each mile outside Marion County. This charge will be added to your final contract and payment)
When do I need to make a payment?
A non-refundable deposit of $100 is required to schedule a Family Outreach Night at your school. Full payment is required at least three weeks before the program date.
When is the final payment due?
After the deposit is received and date reserved, a detailed packet will be sent to the school contact with more information on preparing for the evening, as well as an invoice for balance due. Due to staff and program requirements, refunds/exchanges are not offered. Please plan carefully to ensure that the capacity can be reached.
Will a refund be available in case of cancellation?
A school must make their final payment three weeks before the scheduled program date. A cancellation must be made before three weeks out. The deposit may not be held, transferred, or refunded for another date.
What happens if a program must be canceled due to weather?
In the event of a school or museum closing due to weather, a program may be rescheduled for another date and all payments may be transferred.
How do I register?
You may register on line or call our reservation specialist at 317-334-3317.
For more information, please contact: