We have made the difficult decision to extend our temporary closure until further notice. The health and safety of our visitors, staff, and volunteers remains our top priority. We look forward to opening the museum's doors and seeing you again soon. Until then, since you can't come to us, we'll come to you with Museum at Home.
Immerse yourself in American culture from the 1700s to today. Over 55,000 artifacts representing family life, popular trends, and historical events reside in our American Collection. They tell the tales of the Americans who created and used them years ago.
- The 1917 Carousel is just waiting for you to ride it!
- Pre-War toy trains made by American Flyer, Beggs, Boucher, Carlisle & Finch, Dorfan, Ives, Marklin, Lionel, Voltamp, and more
- A 1920s homemade Raggedy Ann doll signed by the creator
- Barbie® dolls of all kinds
- A flying cape worn by Christopher Reeve in Superman
- Iconic pieces of 20th-century American fashion including a 1966 Andy Warhol-inspired Campbell’s Soup paper dress and a 1950s poodle skirt
- An original 1931 painting by Norman Rockwell
- The Max Simon Comic Book Collection
- The drum carried by Edward Black, the youngest drummer in the Civil War
- The famed 1868 Reuben Wells steam locomotive
Go to the museum's Online History to learn more.