Children are sure to squeal with delight when loveable characters from their favorite story books are featured in a new exhibit at The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis. The exhibition is inspired by the art and characters of the beloved children’s book author and illustrator, Mo Willems. When the The Pigeon and Pals! A Mo Willems Art and Play Exhibit opens February 8, 2020, children and their families will be encouraged to bring the characters alive through imaginative play and then read the books together.
Families will learn more about the best friend duo Elephant Gerald and Piggie, faithful companion Knuffle Bunny, and The Pigeon. The Pigeon is the wily city bird best known for his antics in Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! Visitors will also experience more about the rich emotional lives of Mo’s characters when they explore hands-on activities together.
Here’s what children can see and do:
- Have a hilarious conversation in the voices of Elephant Gerald and Piggie in a two-sided phone booth
- Make Elephant and Piggie dance with old-time animation
- Put on a wearable bus and take a drive around the exhibit
- Spin the laundromat washing machine and uncover Knuffle Bunny and other surprises!
- Dress up Naked Mole Rat and send him down the runway for a one-of-a-kind fashion show
- Stack lightweight blocks to create your own terrible monster or funny friend
- Launch foam hotdogs at The Pigeon
- Play plinko to give the Duckling a cookie
- Try out art techniques that Mo uses for his own books View a selection of original illustrations from all 25 Elephant & Piggie books
“Inspiring our youngest visitors to become passionate readers sets the stage for a richer and more fun-filled education, which is extremely important to The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis,” said Dr. Jeffrey H. Patchen, president and CEO, The Children’s Museum. “From our InfoZone public library branch filled with books that spark imaginations to become more creative to exhibits such as The Pigeon and Pals!, the museum encourages families and children to embark on a lifelong literacy journey together.”
The Pigeon and Pals! A Mo Willems Art and Play Exhibit is a special combination of The Pigeon Comes to Indianapolis: A Mo Willems Exhibit, co-organized by the Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh and The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art, and Elephant & Piggie in WE ARE ART! (A Mo Willems Exhibition), organized by The Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art.