El Día de Los Niños
We're opening the museum with FREE admission for all on El Día de Los Niños—the Day of the Children! The festivities will honor children and celebrate Latino culture. Activities include:
- Zelaya Mariachi Band - Enjoy being serenaded by an authentic mariachi band.
- Ballet Folklorico Mosaicos - Enjoy exciting and energetic traditional Mexican dance.
- Paula Monsalve Quintet – Enjoy Traditional Latin Folk and Latin Pop music from a singer songwriter who hails from Linares, Chile.
- Make Musical Maracas – Come to the InfoZone to make maracas and receive a free book. (1-3 pm)
- Bilingual Storytelling – Participate in classic stories told in both English and Spanish.
- Paper Flower Fiesta - Celebrate by folding your own traditional paper flower.
- Mexican Metal Art - Learn about the Mexican folk art of repujado, and create your own unique piece of metal art.
- Consulate of Mexico - local resource information will be provided for Spanish-speaking visitors including free story books and resource books written in Spanish (while supplies last).
Free Bicycle Helmet Distribution from 2-5 pm
*Available on a first-come, first-serve basis*
For the safety and protection of young bicyclists, more than 3,000 chil-size and larger bike helmets will be given away between 2-5 pm. The helmet giveaway is in partnership with IU Health Emergency Medicine and Trauma Department and the Central Indiana Bicycle Association. Children will be invited to decorate their helmets. Volunteers will do helmet sizing and demonstrate the proper way to put on a helmet. Spanish-speaking volunteers will be available.