- Drinking glass
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- Some sugar to make it sweet
- Squeeze as much of the juice from the lemon as you can into the glass.
- Pour in equal amounts water and lemon juice.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of baking soda.
- Give the mixture a taste and add in some sugar if it needs to be sweeter.
The mixture should be bubbly and taste like a fizzy lemonade drink. If you added some sugar it might even taste like a lemon flavoured soft drink you've bought at a store.
The bubbles that form when you add the baking soda to the lemon mixture are carbon dioxide (CO2), the same bubbles you'll find in store-bought fizzy drinks. The carbon dioxide bubbles formed through a chemical reaction between the lemon (an acid) and the baking soda (a base).
This experiment was adapted from the Science Kid's article, "Make a Lemonade Fizzy Drink."