Museum Apprentice Program (MAP)
The Museum Apprentice Program aims to develop well rounded thinkers and active citizens with a sense of autonomy, which requires competency, empathy, responsibility, and community.
MAP brings together passionate, hardworking, curious, and innovative teens and gives you a chance to be creative, meet and work with museum staff, get a behind-the-scenes look at the Museum in action, and most of all, have fun! Be one of thirty participants that get to dive deeper on exciting topics and develop key skills through projects, workshops, and volunteering.
As a MAP, you will:
- Build communication, planning, and customer service skills.
- Design, Implement, and Evaluate projects that demand critical thinking skills, creativity, commitment, and extraordinary standards of excellence.
- Collaborate on service projects throughout the community and gain a deeper understanding of the topic.
- Improve time management skills through long-term projects.
- Connect with local organizations and businesses through field trips, guest speakers, and workshops.
When: September - May
- A minimum of two days at the museum each month (approximately 6 hours a month) during the fall and spring semesters. Meetings take place one Saturday and one Wednesday evening per month.
- Volunteer with the museum at least once each semester.
MAP Leaders aims to provide a platform for youth voice within the museum, foster a practical understanding of project management, and promote self-awareness and confidence.
Ten exceptional members of the Museum Apprentice Program are eligible to participate in MAP Leaders, an intensive leadership development program.
As a MAP Leader, you will:
- Provide feedback and suggest new ideas for programming and projects.
- Advocate for teen involvement throughout the museum.
- Participate in special training events and workshops to develop customer service, mentoring and project management skills.
- Create teambuilding sessions and challenges to lead during the following school year.
- Applicants must have been a member of the Museum Apprentice Program and be in good standing for at least one year.
Applications will be sent to current MAPs and interviews will be conducted spring of 2020.
For more information, please contact Lindsey DeLorey, Public Events and Youth Programs Coordinator at LDelorey@childrensmuseum.org or call 317-334-3802.