Saturday Science: Ghostly M's
Things are a little spooky this time of year, and with this week's Saturday Science experiment, M&M's® are no exception. Learn how ghostly M&M's can be in this experiment from The Teacher's Corner.
- A bowl
- M&M's candy
- Put about an inch or two of warm water into the bowl.
- Select several candies that have nice, clear "M"s on them.
- Place them, M side up, in the water.
- Now watch carefully. Quickly, the candy coating starts to dissolve and the colors settle to the bottom around the candy.
- The last part of the color to go will probably be the part under the M.
- Slowly, a thin film with the M on it will separate from the candy and float to the surface.
- If you let the candy continue to dissolve, you will see a white candy layer under the colored one and finally the chocolate center becomes visible.
When you finish, the candy is still perfectly edible, so don't waste it. Just drain off the water and then scoop up the lumps of chocolate for a snack.
Looking for more ghostly fun this Halloween? Check out Monster MASKarade every Friday evening and Saturday morning in October!
This post is sponsored by Dave & Buster's.