This all-new, immersive exhibit will tell the dynamic story of space exploration from NASA’s Project Mercury program, which sent the first Americans into space, to the International Space Station (ISS). In Beyond Spaceship Earth, families can see astronaut artifacts, learn space-travel history and immerse themselves in the life of an astronaut. Each segment of the exhibit has something extraordinary to offer!
International Space Station Exhibit
- Discover how astronauts perform scientific experiments in space
- View real video of an astronaut’s day-to-day life in space
- Try on space gear, and try out interactive space-task activities
Indiana Astronaut Wall of Fame
- Learn about the Hoosiers who’ve made astronomical impact
- View space artifacts and images courtesy of Purdue University Archives
- Explore the database of Indiana astronauts
Schaefer Planetarium and Space Object Theater
- See the Liberty Bell 7, the capsule behind America’s second manned space flight
- Experience Gus Grissom’s story in the a dynamic sound and light show Flight of the Liberty Bell 7
- Watch an actor portray astronaut Gordon Cooper as he shares his favorite memories about Gus Grissom
Beyond Spaceship Earth is made possible by lead gifts from Lilly Endowment Inc., Eli Lilly and Company Foundation, Patricia Schaefer, The Heritage Group, and a NASA grant, with major support provided by R.B. Annis Educational Foundation, Church Brothers Collision Repair, The Dorsey Foundation, and Susan and Steve Haines.
The material contained in Beyond Spaceship Earth: International Space Station is based upon work supported by NASA under award Number NNX14AD06A. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
The Liberty Bell 7 space capsule is on loan from Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center, Inc., Hutchinson, Kansas.
Object loans from Purdue University Libraries, Karnes Archives and Special Collections, West Lafayette, Indiana.