|Date:||Saturday, Jun 19, 2021|
|Suggested Audience:||All ages|
Juneteenth is a holiday commemorating the end of slavery in the United States. It is also called Emancipation Day or Juneteenth Independence Day. The name “Juneteenth” references the date of the holiday, combining the words “June” and “nineteenth.”
Celebrate Juneteenth with us!
- Freetown Village Singers: Experience vibrant vocal performances from Freetown Village, a living history museum representing the men and women of the many African American communities throughout Indiana in the years following the end of the Civil War.
- Griot Drum Ensemble: Enjoy energetic and engaging percussion music as the Griot Drum Ensemble performs authentic, traditional West African and Diaspora drumming.
- Storytelling by Portia Jackson: Learn about the significance and history of Juneteenth with storyteller Portia Jackson as she shares some of her favorite Juneteenth memories.
Activities and giveaways:
- Classic summertime yard games: Giant Jenga, tug of war, cornhole, and more!
- Symbols of Freedom: Discover symbols of freedom from around the world as you decorate your own bandanna.
- Murals for Justice: Explore reproductions of The Murals for Racial Justice project on display and experience being a muralist.
- Museum giveaways: While supplies last.
Community artist showcase:
- Visiting Artist Deonna Craig
- Ashley Nora
- Nathaniel Kyng Rhodes
Community partner showcase:
- Indiana University School of Medicine Emergency Department Advocacy Track
- On My Way Pre K
- Freewheelin' Community Bikes
- Center for Leadership Development
- Indiana Commission for Higher Education
**Juneteenth Jamboree events and activities are included with museum admission.**