10 Tips for Santa's Big Arrival
It’s the jolliest spectacle of the holidays…Santa dashes in to The Children's Museum—by IndyCar!
Santa’s Big Arrival is right around the corner—Friday, Nov. 23, 2018—and we’re here to prepare you for the hustle and bustle of this extraordinary holiday event. Before you make the trip, consider these tips:
- Be early - Santa is rolling up to the museum at 9:15 a.m., but you’ll want to come early for discounted shopping (30% off!) at the Museum Store from 8:30–10 a.m. Also, purchase your admission tickets early, at least one day in advance, to benefit from Plan-Ahead Pricing!
- Warm up with free hot cocoa - Can it get any better than free cocoa? Visit us on the Welcome Center plaza for a free cup of cocoa goodness.
- Watch for the elves—talk with them too! - Keep an eye out for happy elves! In the minutes before Santa arrives, be sure to turn and look back at the museum to watch these daring elves descend! Have you seen the #ElfiesTakingSelfies? They've been sharing their fun and preparations all week. Be sure to share your family moments too by tagging the museum in your Instagram Stories at @childrensmuseum—you just may be featured!
- Join in cheery holiday activities - We’ll have all the supplies to make a bell necklace, bracelet, or ornament in the Welcome Center. Make yours to welcome Santa into the museum! But hurry—this activity is exclusively available for our early-morning visitors, from 8:30–10 a.m.!
- Grab a program for a holiday sing-along - Our barber shop quartet, The Chorduroys, love audience participation! Programs, located in the Welcome Center, have all the lyrics to the sing-along, which begins around 9:40 a.m. and continues until Santa’s Yule Slide ride at 10 a.m..
- Catch Santa’s first Yule Slide while avoiding the crowd - The best place to see Santa’s inaugural slide down the Yule Slide is on the Atrium floor. Everyone knows that—and that’s why it gets crowded pretty quickly! If you’d like a calmer spot, or a bird’s-eye-view, head to the Mezzanine on Level 2.
- Visit Jolly Days to meet some interesting characters - Jolly Days: Winter Wonderland has so much to offer, including some lively characters. Beginning at 10 a.m., be on the lookout for special Jolly Days characters along the mezzanine and inside the exhibit. You may run into Patty Cakes the North Pole Chef, Zazzelz the Stand-Up Comic Elf, Andy the North Pole Zookeeper, and more! When you see them, say hi. You never know what fun they'll be up to!
- Recharge with a snack from the Gingerbread Cafe - Our best bakers are cooking up some holiday eats and treats! Stop by to purchase one and enjoy the gingerbread decor all around you. A new favorite? Cake pops!
- Get an autograph from Ed Carpenter - The driver and owner of the #20 Ed Carpenter Racing IndyCar will be signing autographs from 10–11 a.m. after he takes his own slide down the Yule Slide.
- See The Snow Queen - Our brand-new Lilly Theater production kicks off right after Santa’s arrival! Performances are at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Tickets are free and available at the Lower Level Ticket Booth, but seats may fill up fast. Beginning at 10 a.m., consider sending a second adult down to pick up your tickets in the morning.
Want to show your kiddos what's in store? Here's our video recap from Santa's Big Arrival in past years!
There you have it! Santa will be here all day to hear Christmas wishlists. If you don’t make it to see Santa at the event, he’ll be here the rest of the month and throughout December. Looking for more fun following Santa's Big Arrival? Check out ALL that we have in store this holiday season.
Yo, ho, ho, and away we go! Happy Holidays!