It’s that time of year again—time to throw away your early morning alarm, hide your backpacks, and totally forget about homework, test-taking, and class projects.* That’s right! Spring break is here! What better way to fill your spring break free time than taking a trip to the world’s biggest (and best) children’s museum? If you’re planning to visit our five floors of indoor fun and 7.5 acres of outdoor fun, we’ve put together some tips to make your spring break visit a memorable one.
7 things you should know about Spring Break at The Children’s Museum:
1. Plan ahead—buy tickets early (and save)
Spring break is one of the most popular times to visit the museum. Buying your tickets in advance will ensure admission to the museum on the day you plan to visit and save you time once you arrive because you can head straight to the Entry Gates.
There’s also a financial advantage to buying your tickets early—you get the best admission price available. The admission price will not be lower than it is right now. They will, however, go up. The prices increase as your visit date approaches. Buying your tickets today will lock in the best price for your visit.
**Planning on visiting the museum more than once during spring break?**
Membership is a real deal! Most families can visit year-round for the cost of about two visits. You get more play time—and more perks from free Carousel rides and early entry hours to 10% off at The Museum Store. Become a member today. It really is your best deal.
2. Have your tickets or membership card ready
If you have physical tickets, please have them out and ready to scan before heading to the entry gates.
If you have digital tickets, have them pulled up on your phone before heading to the entry gates. No need to stop at the Box Office. Just head on over to the entry gates for our five floors of fun or the Riley Children's Health Sports Legends Experieince®.
Members do not need tickets. Please have your membership card and photo ID ready. Bypass the Box Office and begin your day of family memories!
Take a screenshot of your digital tickets or your digital membership card before entering the museum. That way, you can have them pulled up and ready to scan without delay.
3. Get outside
Our outdoor sports wonderland—the Riley Children’s Health Sports Legends Experience® will reopen March 18, 2023, for another legendary season. It doesn’t matter if you’re a rookie or a Hall of Famer, you’ll have a legendary time making family memories. With “my-sized” equipment, knowledgeable and encouraging Coaches, and a no fear, just fun atmosphere, the Riley Children’s Health Sports Legends Experience® is fun for all ages!
4. Take advantage of these amenities
We want to make sure your visit to the world’s biggest and best children’s museum is as hassle-free as possible. These perks are available when you visit:
- Affordable food options are available in the Food Court; you’re also welcome to pack your own lunch—no open food or drinks in the exhibit areas, please
- Parking is always free and is available in our parking garage or nearby surface lots
- Kid-friendly restrooms and diapering facilities are located on every level of the museum
- We’ve created a quiet and private nursing area in Playscape®
- Our Concierge Desk can be found on Level 1 and is available to answer your questions, provide recommendations, and give other assistance
- Locker, stroller and wagon rentals and complimentary wheelchairs are available on a first-come, first-served basis in our Equipment Rental area in the Welcome Center
5. Explore new exhibits and catch a show or two (or more)!
As you plan your day, you’ll want to make sure to explore these newly-opened exhibits:
Join Buddy the Tyrannosaurus rex and his Pteranodon family on a time-traveling adventure through the Age of the Dinosaurs in Dinosaur Train: The Traveling Exhibit. Hop aboard a stationary version of the Dinosaur Train and help Buddy on his quest to discover everything there is to know about dinosaurs!
The world’s biggest children’s museum brings you the world’s best-selling video game with Minecraft: The Exhibition. Explore the limitless possibilities and tell your own story as you develop problem-solving skills, discover new design concepts, and create innovative solutions to real-world problems in this one-of-a-kind exhibit.
In Power Play, created in partnership with the Indy Fuel, the exciting and explosive sport of hockey provides fans–and non-fans–an opportunity to try new skills, gain confidence, and make fun family memories together.
During spring break, our calendar is chock-full of live performances and interactive experiences in Lilly Theater, the Sunburst Atrium, and in exhibits throughout the museum. Here's a peek at what we have in store this year:
These live performances are included with museum admission. You can find all of our daily events on our online calendar.
6. Experience beloved museum traditions
There are a few things you absolutely must do while you’re here for spring break. These traditions will make your day even more memorable:
- Wave good morning to our mascot Rex—he’ll be in the Sunburst Atrium when the doors open at 10 a.m.
- Strike a pose and snap a selfie in the Central Indiana Honda Dealers Winner’s Circle in in the Riley Children’s Health Sports Legends Experience®
- Go ‘round and ‘round on the historic Carousel. Rides are free for member youth and $1 for nonmember youth. Animals are limited to youth riders. Accompanying adults ride free.
- Celebrate your memorable day with an end-of-the-day parade, led by Rex
7. Visit The Museum Store
Don’t forget to stop by The Museum Store and get a souvenir to remind you of your amazing day at The Children’s Museum. If, for some reason, you didn't make it to The Museum Store, you can always shop online!
Spring Break + The Children's Musem = a lifelong memory
We know. It's spring break. We told you to forget about school stuff during spring break.* But you don't need your math books to figure out this simple equation. It's basic math. Right?
We hope these tips and tricks will help you have the most amazing experience possible at the world's biggest and best children's museum. Start planning your visit today!
*We understand that you might have been given a homework assignment to complete during spring break. In no way, shape, or form, does The Children’s Museum, its Board, staff, volunteers, or partners encourage you to actually ignore any required schoolwork during spring break.